2. Chia Seeds: I add 2-3 tablespoons of Chia seeds to anything breakfast related… every morning. Breakfast consists of Fruit and yogurt, or fruit and oatmeal, or fruit and cereal, or toast. I don’t really notice any added energy from Chia seeds, but nothing bad comes from eating them either, so why not. I also add a spoon full of ground flax seeds to everything too.
3. Ezekiel Bread/Toast: I love toast – PB&J toast that is. I’ll have this for lunch, breakfast occasionally, or before an evening race. If your looking for a great healthy bread – look for this in the organic section in the freezer!
4. Cliff Bars: One of my favorite bars, I do also like Lara bars. Always go for peanut butter chocolate chip. Did you know they also have a Clif family winery? If I happen to take a break at work – I bring a bar and a orange… and that’s lunch.
5. Energy Gel: I only use Clif shot gels in a race – Mocha or Chocolate is the best. I’ve only used them in Marathons, and longer trail races.
6. Trail Mix: Probably one of my favorite foods in general! I love trail mix. A favorite after run snack. Wegmans sells a giant bag for $12.99, Target also has some awesome varieties.
7. Hummus: I could live on hummus and veggies. So far my favorite is Wegmans plain old hummus. But I seem to like any plain Hummus.
8. Carrots: Where there is hummus, there will be carrots. I could live on carrots and hummus.
9. Wheat Thins: If I have carrots and hummus, wheat thins are usually in the mix.
10. Sweet Potato: I would be happy with a giant sweet potato for dinner. (Kyle would not tho… so that doesn’t usually happen). But so good with cajun seasoning and a drizzle of honey.
11. Giant organic apple and peanut butter: Another favorite after run snack. Seems that the bigger the apple the better it tastes.
12. Salmon: I make some pretty awesome salmon. Of course – wegmans sells a frozen club pack, which we always buy. I thaw it, rub it with olive oil, salt and pepper. Wrap it in foil and bake for 15 min. Sometimes we’ll have it just like that, or stick it in a wrap with some veggies, spinach, and egg.
13. Wraps/naan bread/stuff like that: When we don’t know what to make, and want something fast… we make a wrap. Usually just veggies, or egg and veggies, hummus.
14. Coffee: I drink coffee occasionally. I’m drinking it right now. I dilute it with a half cup of chocolate milk…. so good! I don’t drink it everyday, but I will drink it on a race morning. We have the keurig vue system. My favorite is donut shop, and Newmans Own.
15. Junk: If cookies somehow make it to our table – they’ll be gone the same day. And ice cream – that’ll be gone in a couple days. I like eating healthy, but I’m not afraid of sugar either. This is why we don’t buy these things!
16. Pizza: I make whole wheat pizza from scratch. Super thin crust, no sauce, little cheese, and lots of veggies. Can’t feel guilty eating that.
17. Pasta: Surprisingly don’t eat pasta that much, being a runner. But it is another quick fix, if we have nothing else.
I can’t think of anything else right now, but this is basically what I live on. I very rarely eat out… maybe once every 2 or 3 months. No fast food ever. My dog wakes me up at 7:30 every morning, so if your wondering why I just blogged this…. that’s why – I got bored… thats all.