Mind the Ducks 12 hour

What a race.
Before Saturday, I had never ran longer than 4 hours and 15 minutes…. and that was during a marathon. My longest training run was under 3 hours. I never trained over 50 miles in a week….

I just ran 55.66 miles in 11:49.23!

I didn’t wear a watch, I didn’t keep track of my place during the event. I didn’t want any added stress. I just wanted to keep moving. So here’s a little report…

The first 4 miles were slow and crowded, and I didn’t mind. I talked and ran with an awesome runner – Liz, who ended up with 62 miles. She gave me some good advice for the run, as well as recovery. After the first hour or so I had no idea what lap I was on… until I was around a marathon. I created a tally sheet for my friend Natalie and I, and my parents were there to mark each lap.
I got a ton of unexpected support. The #trailsroc crew were there to cheer and took some awesome photos. They really helped the first half of the race fly by.

My plan was to run the whole time until I ran around to my friend Natalie, each time I saw her I would take a walking break and see how she was doing. I started dying a bit when I hit the 30’s, and took more walking breaks on my own. My friend Pat from work came – we had a little fundraiser going for him to help him get through his cancer treatments.

I was feeling like I couldn’t run anymore, so he walked a lap with me and I drank some gatorade. After that lap I stretched for a minute, rolled out my calfs, and tried to pick up a run again. I passed the clock and Gil, the race director told me I wasn’t that far behind… that I could catch up if I stayed steady. My first thought was “oh great… that’s not gonna happen” but then I got a second wind. I was able to run 4 more miles with no breaks. Here’s my splits – thanks to yellow jacket racing!
After that little spurt of energy I hit my second wall. I ran/walked some laps. Then trail runner friend Matt stopped by… this was probably when I was at my worst, but it was awesome timing. He walked a couple laps with me. Tried to run a lap with me, but I couldn’t do it… I was getting cramps, sidestitches, and not feeling great. We start talking about salt and salt tablets… and he convinced me I should probably try taking one. I was covered in salt, my shirt had salt patterns on it… I never knew salt was THAT important.

I get around to the main aid station and take 1 electrolyte tablet, and walk another lap while drinking water. I didn’t realize I was feeling better until Matt asked if I was…. and I was like… “actually…yes.” I didn’t think there was any recovering from what I had done, I was actually convinced I was dying… or I was probably gonna die once the 12 hours were over. Matt asked if I thought I could run again, and I tried. It was tiny baby step running, but I was moving again. I actually started to feel hungry… that was something I hadn’t felt at all, all day! I took another electrolyte tablet, and ate a donut bite at the aid station.

I couldn’t understand how even my feet were feeling better, nothing seemed to hurt anymore. Or at least nothing compared to how it was before. Darn electrolye tablets! I wish I had tried them earlier… but they are an amazing thing. I was able to run the last 5 miles till the clock ran out. and Those were probably the funnest miles! Kyle was there, and each time I saw him I would say… 1 more. Everyone was so excited for the runners still going, cheering loader each of the final laps. My last lap was #55, and I did it in 10:31… I finished and still had about 10 minutes to get another lap in and I probably could have… but I felt like that might be the 1 lap that would push me over the edge. Plus it was fun to see everyone else finishing.

About 15 minutes after having stopped, I started walking with Kyle and my mom… and something didn’t feel right. I felt dizzy, things were getting fuzzy… saw some stars. I ducked under the finish line rope and sat on a giant piece of bark… I think next to some dog poop, cause Kyle stepped in it. I thought I was gonna lose it, and didn’t know what do to. I was cold, I couldn’t stop shaking, and couldn’t stop crying… it got messy.

Long story short – eventually I got up with the help of Kyle and my mom. Got my goodie bag. and Kyle took me home… I was still pretty hysterical. Kyle had to carry me inside, I was still freezing, or in shock or something… couldn’t stop shaking. He made me a hot bath, and gave me chocolate chips. Then we turned the hot bath into an ice bath… We had a small bowl of pasta, I took 2 ibprofen and wen’t to bed.

I was scared of how I would feel the next day, still convinced I wasn’t gonna wake up. I thought I had destroyed my body. But I woke up, layed in bed… evetually got up. I was shocked… not bad! I was fine. A little sore, but Im pretty sure I’ve been worse. I feel like I’ll be able to run sooner than I thought, I expect a full recovery before Sehgahunda. Do I dare try to run Dirt Cheap in 2 days? I am thinking about it.

Here’s my full results:
12th overall – out of 125
6th female out of 67
4th in age group (39 and under)
I did 55.66 miles in 11 hours 49 minutes, and 23 seconds.

This race ended up meaning alot more to me than I expected. So much support. A guy came up to me after I finished and told me I was an amazing runner… really!? I didn’t know what to say. That’s something I don’t expect to here, and not something I ever considered myself. I try to run, sometimes I do well… I don’t really know what im doing. But thank you to that guy, I appreciate it! I wish I got your name 🙂

I could keep going but Im gonna hurry up and finish this. Anyone that cheered for me, I noticed – you got me through a long day, and pushed me farther than I thought I could go. My goal was 50 miles. At one point I didn’t care if I didn’t get there. But I ended up doing 55! I learned ALOT! ELECTROYLTES – those are important. Here’s some photos.

Photo Credit - Ron Heerkens http://ronheerkensjr.com/

Photo Credit – Ron Heerkens http://ronheerkensjr.com/

Photo Credit- Ron Heerkens http://ronheerkensjr.com/

Photo Credit- Ron Heerkens http://ronheerkensjr.com/


Pat's visit

Pat’s visit


One response

  1. YOU DID SO FREAKING AWESOME! I am so proud of you and wish I could have been there cheering. That is insane mileage and love that you finished strong. I’m sorry about the mess after, I can’t even imagine…I probably would have been the same. Such a physical and emotional shock after doing something like that! We must catch up soon!!!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s